Direct Service Connection
- During your active military service you sustained an injury or developed a disease.
- That injury or disease continues to cause disability.
- A medical examination determines there is a causal link between the in-service injury or disease and your current disability.
Presumptive Service Connection
Secondary Service Connection
Service Connection by Aggravation (38 CFR 3.306)
- You had a preexisting injury or disease when you entered active military, naval or air service.
- During that period of service, the injury or disease results in increased disability beyond it's normal course.
- There is no specific finding that the increase in disability was the result of the natural progression of the disease.
(Authority: 38 C.F.R. 3.306; 38 U.S.C. 1153)
There are several ways to be granted service connection for your disability: Direct, Presumptive, Secondary, Aggravation, and 1151. Service connection basically means that the facts, shown by evidence, establish that a particular injury or disease resulting in disability was incurred in such service in the Armed Forces, or if preexisting service, was aggravated therein.
COLUMBIANA COUNTY VETERANS SERVICE COMMISSION